Going the extra step to keep you safe at Panumart Tattoo.
Proper aftercare is critical to keeping you safe and keeping your tattoo looking good. This is especially true in Thailand where a hot and humid climate puts you at risk for infection if you do not take proper care of your tattoo.
At Panumart Tattoo we make use of the latest tattoo aftercare technology to keep you safe! Meet the second-skin aftercare wrap!
This special wrap, called a “second-skin”, is the safest way to heal a tattoo and to prevent infections.
Second-Skin Tattoo Wrap
At Panumart Tattoo we utilize “second skin” technology, to protect your tattoo. This special plastic wrap is used to protect and help heal your new ink in the days following your tattoo.
The second-skin tattoo wrap allows your skin to heal quicker and with NO scabbing
Second-skins are medical grade plastic wrap that provide a WATERPROOF, ANTIBACTERIAL-BARRIER that stops pathogens and external contaminants from entering the wound. This is vital to preventing infection.
Additionally, the second-skin wrap protects your new tattoo from clothes rubbing against it.
The second skin also It is BREATHABLE, allowing oxygen to enter and allowing excess moisture to be released from the wound. It’s light to wear, FLEXIBLE and stretchable which allows it to be placed anywhere on the body and stay on, up to several days.
After about a week of wearing the second skin (applying a fresh wrap as instructed), the skin heals quickly and with no scabbing at all.You’ll find the second skin to be hardly noticeable, allowing you to move around freely.
- A tattoo is essentially an open wound, so treat it as such. Don’t touch it with dirty fingers or clothing. Keep it clean!
- No baths or swimming for 7 days.
- Avoid sun burns. In fact, do your best to keep it out of direct sun-light for 7 days.
- Avoid excess sweating and exercise for the first 7 days.
- Do not scratch or pick at your tattoo. This should not be a problem the first week, as you’ll be wearing the second skin, but for the 3 weeks afterwards do not mess with the dry skin. Light slaps/patting helps with the itchiness, though.
- More than likely you will leave our tattoo shop wearing a second skin. You will keep this wrap on 24 to 48 hours. The two determining factors of whether you should take it off early are if (a) it is already peeling off and exposing tattooed skin and (b) if excess fluid has built up underneath. Some fluid will naturally pool as plasma and some ink ooze from your fresh tattoo.
- Ink naturally escapes from your tattoo while it’s healing, especially on the first day.f you see a lot of ink under your second-skin do not worry. This is normal. But your tattoo is ready for a new application of second-skin.
- To remove the second-skin go in the shower and run warm, not hot water over the wrap for a few minutes. This will soften the glue. Then peel the wrap away slowly. *Make sure to wash your hands with soap before doing this.
- Next do not shoot water directly at your tattoo. Instead let it hit above the tattoo and run down until the skin feels normal and free of blood plasma.
- Do not use soap to clean your tattoo, as some soaps have ingredients that will adversely affect your new tattoo.
- When you exit the shower, dry your tattoo by PATTING it down with something very clean. We recommend a freshly opened roll of paper towels. Do not rub the tattoo dry. And do not use something potentially dirty to dry it, as that could cause infection.
- Then reapply a new second-skin. Make sure your hands are clean!
- *Note that while the second-skin is breathable, its evaporation rate is not magically fast. So do not get yourself in a situation where you are sweating so much, creating a pool of hot water under the wrap. If you do get so sweaty, then go ahead remove and replace the wrap ahead of schedule.
- Moisturize your skin 2-4 times a day once you are finished using all of the wraps. Aquaphor is the best stuff to put on your tattoo. Otherwise, we recommend using coconut oil or a non-scented moisturizer.